Getting involved.



The University of Leeds offers a club or society for pretty much anything your mind could ever possibly imagine. From food to photography, quidditch to skydiving, there is a group out there for literally every single one of you. Being a fresher, the university's Union really pushes and encourages us newbies to sign-up for and join as many different societies as we possibly can, which I for one think is a great attitude to have. After the initial overwhelmingness of all the different clubs, I finally decided upon four, which I think I will have the most fun in and get the most out of.

The first group I joined was the Leeds University's Snow Sports Society, also known as the Snowriders. I have been skiiing, and more recently snowboarding for the majority of my life, and when I sported this society from across the sports hall, I knew it was something I wanted to be a part of. A trip at the end of semester is already in motion, with the desitnation of choice being France's Northern Alps. So not only have I never been skiing in Europe before, I've never even been to France. I could not be more excited for semester to be over, so I can improve my pretty impressive snowboarding skills, if I do say so myself.

Another club that I joined, which is no surprise to people that know me, is SocieTEA. When I stumbled upon this society, the pen was literally already in my hand and I was signing up before you could say "pop the kettle on". I like to think in many ways I am extremely Australian, but my unhealthy tea obsession is a clear indication of my British heritage. The tea society is literally exactly what it states, drinking tea in different locations. Within the semester however, members of this club participate in the famous Tealey Run, which is a trip around various tearooms in Leeds.

Along the same lines of the tea society, I also signed up for the Baking Society. Cooking and baking are a hobbies that I have recently discovered in the past year and a half. I love making both sweet and savoury treats for friends and family, especially those of a healthier nature, due to my current nutrition degree. I love trying out new recipes, and mixing ingredients that I would never imagine combining. There is nothing more satisfying that laying dinner down and having everybody lick their plates clean. I am always looking for ways to expand my skills and learn new recipes that I can show off with.

The final society I joined was a given...Netball. I've been playing competitively for eight years, socially for two, and I have even trained a primary school team. Netball would have to be one of my all time favourite sports to both compete and spectate, as it is so fast paced and exciting, meaning there is never a dull moment. It is just such a great team sport that I always seem to go back to. It's a great way to make new friendships and stay fit, while also having a laugh. I'm thinking of also joining my residences' social team, as it would be nice to play with some of the people that I live with here in Devonshire Hall.

In addition to all this, throughout the semester all of the different societies have various social events and gatherings. Joining clubs with people who share similar and common interests is one of the best and easiest ways to make friends, especially in a new environment. From the few people I have already met within these various groups, I can already tell that I have a fun semester ahead. I encourage anyone who is new or maybe just looking for something to do, to join a society that you are genuinely interested in, I guarantee you will have a blast.

2 comments:

  1. Hope you're enjoying your time there! Wish they hat those society's here, especially the tea one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! When I saw the Tea Society I was just like...yes, this is for me 100%

      Delete